20 February, 2008

1990s Tibetan Heicha

Stand by your bunks, some more for the "outbox"...


Aged for ten years in Tibet, where it is boiled with yak butter to make the famous beverage, this heicha [fully-oxidised, "black tea"] was originally sold by Yunnan Sourcing. The tea was generously provided by a benefactor who wishes to remain nameless, so for the purposes of this article, let's call her MYSTERIELLA...


It's a chunky brick, and yet seems remarkably light. Digging into the leaves, it becomes apparent that they are very light - pulling them from the brick causes them to rustle and disintegrate like burned paper.


It's a twiggy brew, and no mistake. A gentle "library" aroma hangs about the leaves. It seems worn and gentle, and in that regard not too dissimilar to the 2001 Liuan heicha that we encountered last year.

It seems as if the trends for exploring heicha come and go. Usually, even with the best examples, they reach no further than a decent "daily tea". Perhaps there is a remarkable heicha out there waiting to be discovered...


It's a dusty brew from this particularly heicha, and two rinses are in order. The resultant soup is really rather smooth, continuing that pleasantly sweet aroma so loved by bibliophiles the world over.

After a session, I am left invigorated and fresh. I know MYSTERIELLA didn't get on with this tea, but I think it's markedly better than the current daily tea that I use in my office. For such use, I look for an undemanding tea that neither requires nor benefits from great attention - this leaf is a decent enough background leaf, and I am very grateful for it.

As a coda, some scuttle-related erotica for those so inclined...


4 comments:

speakfreely said...

What? A safety razor? I thought the wet-shaving crowd was all about using a straight razor...??? Or is that just for masochists?

Steven Dodd said...

Arrrgh, the pictures fan the flames of my lust for a scuttle!

sf: A straight razor is a larger investment and requires skill in keeping the blade sharp. A safety razor is better than a cartridge and as easy to use.

Hobbes said...

It's my understanding that even the straight-razor crowd tend to use them mainly at the week-ends, when time is available - most are double-edged blades come the week-days. :)


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. Doddy, have you tried "Feathers" blades? Immensely sharp, they can cut atoms.*

*Physical chemists: hush.

speakfreely said...

Can't say I would be inclined to take a straight razor to my legs, never mind my face - just giving you grief. Hot lather, OTOH, sounds kinda nice; just read up on the shaving scuttle, and now I know what one is.